DHQ confirms emergence of new terrorists’ group in Northwest called Lukarawas

The Military High Command on Thursday raised a fresh alarm over the emergence of a dreaded new terrorist group called ‘Lukarawas’ in the North-West zone

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba raised the concern in Abuja while briefing newsmen on the operations of the military against insurgency activities in the various theatres of operations across the zones in the country

He explained that the new terror group emerged from the Republic of Niger after the coup that led to the breakdown of military cooperation between Nigeria and Niger.

According to him, “The new terrorists began incursion into northern parts of Sokoto and Kebbi States from the Niger Republic and Mali axis, particularly after the coup in the Niger Republic, before the coup, there were joint border operations with Nigerien security forces which kept the terrorists at bay.

“The terrorists took advantage of the gaps in cooperation between both countries and exploited difficult terrains to make incursions in remote areas in some North-western states to spread their ideology.”

He lamented that the group was being accommodated by the locals who initially thought that the group meant well for them and that because of this they failed to report the movement to the military and security agencies.

Buba who hinted that the military had already declared Numbers of the group wanted pointed out that the terror group had continued to take advantage of the vast under-governed areas to hide and evade troops as well as harass the locals.

He, however, said that the troops were taking necessary actions including Intelligence gathering, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) to degrade the terrorists.

According to him, “Our gallant troops are locating them and eliminating the threat., we are appealing to citizens to assist us with useful information about the criminal elements.”

This came just as he assured that the sudden passage of the Chief of Army Staff, COAS, General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja would not detail the resolve of the Military end terrorist activities in the country

He said ,rather this would further motivated the troops at the war fronts to put in their best in honouring the former COAS who died a great warrior

According to him, “Even as the armed forces mourn the tragic passing away of the COAS, Lt Gen TA Lagbaja, we will not allow his passing to derail our focus to destroy the terrorists. We are rather inspired by his actions on the battlefield as a war commander as well as his strong desire to defeat the terrorist in order to end the war.

Leave a Reply